[tor-dev] Summary of meek's costs, December 2015

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Mon Jan 11 23:58:45 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 02:51:12PM -0900, Jesse V wrote:
> On 01/11/2016 02:42 PM, David Fifield wrote:
> > We still have support from
> > Google, so that $561.29 actually costs about $61.29.
>
> Oh, I was not aware of this. When does the support expire, and how much
> would it cost (in terms of Tor's budget) to double the bandwidth to 16
> Mbits, for instance? I'm just thinking about the implications if there
> were donations for meek.

It expires pretty soon. March, I think?

I don't know how much usage will increase with a higher rate limit, but
I'm sure that we could saturate 24 Mbps, because that's about where we
were before instituting rate limiting. I think of it the other way:
rather than picking a speed and figuring out what it will cost, set a
cost and then adjust your speed to meet it.