[tor-dev] Summary of meek's costs, December 2015

Jesse V kernelcorn at riseup.net
Mon Jan 11 22:19:22 UTC 2016

On 01/11/2016 12:47 PM, David Fifield wrote:
> December 2015  $561.29 +  $603.27 +  $172.60 =  $1337.16
> The number of users increased by about 1,000 in December 2015.

Thanks for the report, David.

There are now ~1800 users on meek-google sharing 8 Mbits. Of course,
it's also possible that many are lurking. I wonder if we should think of
a way to load-balance the CDNs a bit more, assuming Azure is accessible
from China. Perhaps we could re-order or at least clarify the bridge
options in the Tor Browser. Since it's logistically challenging to get
bridges from inside a censored country, it's possible that users try the
various bridge options using the built-in bridges (which are likely
blocked) before discovering that meek works, so they use that. I wonder
how we could encourage users to use other transports that are likely
faster, then use meek as a last resort.

--
Jesse V