[tor-dev] Tor Control Protocol: multiple commands in a single line possible?

Sun Jan 10 17:02:17 UTC 2016

TLDR:

Does Tor's control protocol actually support something like ; ?
I.e. something like
signal newnym ; getinfo address
?
How many of there separators are there?
Can you provide examples please?

Background:

At the moment we are implementing support for whitelisting wildcards for
control-port-filter-proxy-python [0] to support Onionshare and Ricochet.
[1] [2] [3] [4]

Does Tor's control protocol actually support something like ; ? If it
does, then this would complicate the wildcard feature.

If we whitelisted the wildcard add_onion *, we don't want it to match
some hypothetical feature add_onion * ; .... I.e. not add_onion * ;
GETINFO address.

(If it was the case, then we would have to limit the wildcard (*) from
example SETCONF HiddenServicePort * to exactly one [numeric] argument
etc. Or better, correctly parse multi lined commands. Or as stopgap,
reject these separators since no applications using Tor's control
protocol are currently using those.)

Cheers,
Patrick

[0] https://github.com/Whonix/control-port-filter-python
https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Dev/Control_Port_Filter_Proxy
[1] https://phabricator.whonix.org/T446
[2] https://phabricator.whonix.org/T445
[3] https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Next#onionshare
[4] https://phabricator.whonix.org/T448

(Asked Roger by mail, said it's okay to post this on tor-dev.)