[tor-dev] Tor metrics: Questionable relays-by-platform accounting

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Fri Jan 8 08:09:33 UTC 2016

On 07/01/16 18:48, Fabian Keil wrote:
> Looking at "Tor metrics - Relays by platform" [0] one could think
> that the number of "FreeBSD" relays is only slightly lower than the
> number of "Windows" relays.
>
> It also looks like the number of "other" platforms is constantly
> zero while the number of "Darwin" relays is unclear (but
> potentially zero as well).
>
> Obviously that's incorrect:
>
> fk at r500 ~ $sudo -u _tor grep platform
> /usr/jails/tor-jail/var/db/tor/cached-descriptors | cut -w -f 5 |
> sort | uniq -c | sort -rn 6662 Linux 555 Windows 286 FreeBSD 83
> OpenBSD 25 Darwin 10 NetBSD 4 SunOS 4 ElectroBSD 4 Bitrig 2
> DragonFly 1 GNU/kFreeBSD 1 CYGWIN_NT-10.0-WOW
>
> Is it possible that the "Tor metrics" count everything but "Linux"
> and "Windows" as FreeBSD?

Good question.  Not exactly: it's counting everything containing "BSD"
as "FreeBSD".  Ugh.  I agree that this is misleading.  How about we
change the graph legend to "BSD"?  (Unfortunately, we cannot
distinguish easily between the other BSDs in that graph, because we'd
have to re-import the archives since 2007.)

Note that your query above is not entirely correct, either.  You're
overcounting relays publishing more than one descriptor, whereas
Metrics only counts descriptors being referenced from the consensus.
The latest numbers from Tor metrics are:

2016-01-05,,,,Darwin,,22,
2016-01-05,,,,FreeBSD,,371,
2016-01-05,,,,Linux,,6384,
2016-01-05,,,,Other,,9,
2016-01-05,,,,Windows,,387,

See https://metrics.torproject.org/servers-data.html

Thanks for reporting.  A Trac ticket in component Metrics would have
worked, too, but reporting on this list is also fine.

All the best,
Karsten