[tor-dev] Proposal 247 (Hidden Service Vanguards) Overhaul

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Thu Jan 7 17:35:09 UTC 2016

Mike Perry:
> > I spent some time trying to clean up proposal 247 based on everyone's
> > comments, as well as based on my own thoughts. Please have a look if you
> > commented on the original proposal, and complain if I've not taken your
> > thoughts into account.
>
> Ok, I've now folded in our discussion from the dev meeting into the
> proposal itself. This was done in this commit:
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/mikeperry/torspec.git/commit/proposals/247-hs-guard-discovery.txt?h=guard_discovery_dev&id=6f563eada05e576e61a89b490997eb4965df519e
>
> The full proposal is still at:
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/mikeperry/torspec.git/tree/proposals/247-hs-guard-discovery.txt?h=guard_discovery_dev
>
> I think this is ready for merge back into the main torspec.git as it is
> a substantial improvement over the version in there. If no one comments
> within the week, I will prepare a squashed version for merge.

Ok, it's been much longer than a week. I've prepared a squashed version
with a full changelog of all changes since origin/master as a single
commit here:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/mikeperry/torspec.git/commit/?h=guard_discovery_dev-rebased&id=e95002e05a18761ca74aebe144b04f658fba9a89

I recommend merging this, as it is not helping anyone for the current
version of 247 to sit in our main spec repo. We all agree this is an
improvement, at least.

I am happy to continue to write more updates if anyone has any
additional concerns, corrections, or suggestions. Otherwise, my next
plan for this proposal is to try to implement a prototype in txtorcon
for simulation/testing/analysis (but I will be working on other things
first).

--
Mike Perry