[tor-dev] Proposal: Stop giving Exit flags when only unencrypted traffic can exit

Virgil Griffith i at virgil.gr
Tue Jan 5 19:15:32 UTC 2016

> Other protocols (SSH, IMAP,
> POP3, SMTP) are indeed more popular but I feel that those less reflect
> the goals of the project, and they are certainly abused more.

I hear you that these are abused more.  But I personally think of Tor as a
mere mechanism than a mechanism+policy.  For example, should the command
"rm" refuse to remove a file that has the text in it that says "IMPORTANT!
DO NOT DELETE!"  Although obviously this is a well-intentioned feature,
presumably rm should not behave this way.  The rm command is a mechanism,
the policy for that mechanism judicious use is a wrapping around the
command itself.

One additional benefit of separating mechanism from policy is that it makes
policies more easily changeable.  Well-meaning people have disagreements on
policies, and policies invariably evolve.  Separating policies from the
core functionality is helpful to allow easier experimentation with
alternative policies.

Applying this here, I argue that the ports a relay makes available should
not impact whether they get the exit flag.  This is consistent with
treating Tor as a mechanism instead of applying top-down a policy for how
people are "supposed" to use it.

-V