[tor-dev] Quantum-safe Hybrid handshake for Tor

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 09:16:17 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jan 2, 2016 at 10:22 PM, Yawning Angel <yawning at schwanenlied.me> wrote:
> In terms of prioritization, ensuring all existing traffic isn't
> subject to later decryption is far more important

I'd think so as you could adapt around other things, but
a traffic decrypt seems quite bad, especially given how
much is stored in purpose built agency farms for later action,
and how who's talking to who is perhaps already known.

> Additionally, without AVX2, signing is glacially slow, clocking in at
> ~200 ms on an Haswell i5.  The same hardware does our existing ntor
> handshake in ~230 usec.

Haswell i5 seems to have AVX2, as do all Haswell's,
perhaps you refer to Ivy Bridge i5's which do not...

https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2011/06/13/haswell-new-instruction-descriptions-now-available/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haswell_(microarchitecture)#New_features
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Vector_Extensions#AVX2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i5_microprocessors