[tor-dev] stopping the censoring of tor users.

Michael Rogers michael at briarproject.org
Fri Feb 26 14:53:24 UTC 2016

As far as I can tell, this would work, and you could do it without any
changes to the Tor network. Just set up a hidden service where the
service is an open proxy.

It wouldn't be transparent to clients, however - they'd need to do some
proxychains-style juggling to connect to their local onion proxy, then
connect through that to your hidden service, then connect through that
to the internet. You could of course create a library to do the extra
work on the client side - but the point is, it wouldn't work for
unmodified clients.

But perhaps the bigger problem with hidden exit nodes is that when
someone does something illegal through your exit node and the police
come to your door, you can't point to the public list of exit nodes and
say "It wasn't me, I'm just an exit node". The best you can do is point
to the hidden exit nodes library and say "It might not have been me,
anyone could be an exit node".

Cheers,
Michael