[tor-dev] Nyx Project Ideas

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Thu Feb 25 02:10:40 UTC 2016

Hi wonderful relay operators. It's GSoC season again, where students
can be funded to make open source projects like Tor even better!

Nyx (previously known as arm [1]) has been my main focus this last
year and is inching ever closer to release. For those unfamiliar with
it, Nyx is an ncurses monitor for Tor relays providing a bandwidth
graph, event log, connections, config editor, and more.

Rather than add new features my work has focused on making Nyx simpler
and faster, but GSoC provides us an opportunity to do even more. So
I'm curious - what do you want from an ncurses monitor? The answer may
be 'keep it simple'. Feature creep does us no favors. But if there's a
good fit I'd love to mentor a project that makes your lives even
better!

I'm not overly fond of the ideas I've had so far...

* Windows support. This poses a few challenges. [2]
* When running multiple tor instances on a single system connect to
them all, aggregating the information.

So anything come to mind?

Cheers! -Damian

[1] https://www.atagar.com/arm/