[tor-dev] Support for mix integration research

Aaron Johnson aaron.m.johnson at nrl.navy.mil
Tue Feb 23 16:03:16 UTC 2016

Hello Katharina,

Sounds like a great project. I have a couple of suggestions:
  1. Consider how to use mixing to anonymize Tor’s name resolution system. Currently, clients connect to onion service by first resolving the onion address (e.g. xyzblah.onion) to a descriptor using a distributed hash table. That hash table can easily be infiltrated by an adversary running relays, and if the adversary also controls a client’s guard they can deanonymize the client during the lookup. This is the attack that the CMU/CERT researchers performed [0] as well as Biryukov et al. [1]. Onion-service descriptors are very small, and so it seems to me that mixing could be applied here to defeat deanonymization.
  2. Read the alpha-mixing paper [2], which first described how high-latency and low-latency traffic might be mixed together.

Good luck!

Aaron

[0] <https://freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/felten/why-were-cert-researchers-attacking-tor/ <https://freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/felten/why-were-cert-researchers-attacking-tor/>>
[1] Alex Biryukov, Ivan Pustogarov, Fabrice Thill, Ralf-Philipp Weinmann; "Content and popularity analysis of Tor hidden services”; IEEE 34th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems Workshops; 2014; <http://arxiv.org/abs/1308.6768 <http://arxiv.org/abs/1308.6768>>.
[2] Roger Dingledine, Andrei Serjantov, and Paul Syverson; "Blending Different Latency Traffic with Alpha-Mixing”; In the Proceedings of the Sixth Workshop on Privacy Enhancing Technologies (PET 2006); 2006; <http://freehaven.net/doc/alpha-mixing/alpha-mixing.pdf <http://freehaven.net/doc/alpha-mixing/alpha-mixing.pdf>>.