[tor-dev] Support for mix integration research

Katharina Kohls katharina.kohls at rub.de
Mon Feb 22 14:11:15 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

we are a team of 4 PHD students in the field of IT security, working at
the Ruhr-University Bochum at the chair for systems security and the
information security group.

Currently we work on a research project with the goal to leverage the
security of Tor against timing attacks by integrating mixes in Tor
nodes. The general idea is to differentiate high-latency and low-latency
traffic among the network for applying additional delays to the former
type of packets. Based on this the success of traffic analysis attacks
should be decreased without restricting the low latency assurance of Tor.

We plan to integrate the mix into Tor version 0.2.5.10 and analyze its
performance along with the Shadow simulator.

As there are a lot of details to consider, both regarding the technical
aspects of the integration as well as practical assumptions, e.g., "how
do we get DiffServ-like nodes?", we would be pleased to receive some
feedback on the idea and support for the implementation of the mix.
Further details on the mix and stuff will sure be provided if needed!

Cheers,
Katharina
--
M.Sc. Katharina Kohls