[tor-dev] Prop259 simulator and results

Reinaldo Junior rjunior at thoughtworks.com
Thu Feb 18 18:30:35 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 6:10 AM, George Kadianakis <desnacked at riseup.net>
wrote:

> > Since time is stopped while we're choosing guards we have to come with a
> > different metric for this. And it also requires detecting the network
> time.
> >

> Hm, what do you mean by "detecting the network time"?

Should be "detecting the network type" (for knowing when the network is
up). I blame muscle-memory.

I think the approach you mentioned above where you add some time cost to
> connections (2 seconds for successful and 4 for failures), should work for
> quantifying the time here, right?

I guess so. At least a ballpark estimate.

> FWIW, I have no idea if 2 and 4 seconds are good numbers. They could be. To
> make sure, you could try launching Tor and actually measure how much time
> it
> spends on dead guards and how much time it spends on alive guards.

We neither. We just wanted to make failures more expensive than successes.

--
*Reinaldo de Souza Jr* | Software Developer
*Thought*Works | www.thoughtworks.com

GPG: EF84 6530 67A5 1559 5554  D8B2 954A 6BEF AF74 ACD7