[tor-dev] Help with TOR on UDP/QUIC

Xiaofan Li xli2 at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Feb 16 17:28:35 UTC 2016

Hi everyone:

I'm new to Tor dev community and my name is Xiaofan Li, currently a senior
at Carnegie Mellon University studying ECE and CS. My friend Kevin Ku and I
are taking a graduate class <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/%7Esrini/15-744/S16/> on
computer networks and we decided to examine the possibilities of
substituting TCP with the Google QUIC protocol for Tor in order to improve
performance.

We are emailing you because:

   1. We want to get some points of contact with the Tor community in case
   of future integration and/or testing.
   2. We want to know if *anyone else* has done (or is doing) Tor with
   QUIC. If so, what their status is; and if not, why not?
   3. We want to get *your opinions* on this idea. Attached is our (very)
   preliminary plan and goals for the project. Any feedback is welcomed.
   4. Any *implementation recommendations*. My plan is to find a clean
   layer of abstraction where I can substitute TCP with QUIC. Any ideas? On a
   first look, I'm thinking about either *or/channel.c* or
   *or/transports.c *
   5. Any *testing suggestions*? How do Tor engineers test new stuff?

Please take a look at our outline attached below.
Thank you! Looking forward to hearing from you soon!
Li.