[tor-dev] Guards selection - current algorithm simulation

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Thu Feb 4 21:28:43 UTC 2016

Iván Pazmiño <ipazmino at thoughtworks.com> writes:

> Hey guys,
>
> Just wondering if by any chance you have a simulator for the current
> algorithm to select guards. It would be very useful to compare against
> new algorithm's numbers.
>
> Thanks,

Hello,

We don't actually and it's a pity because it would have been very useful for
this particular case indeed.

However, the entry guard code in Tor is not particularly clean or well
abstracted. So finding the underlying algorithm will not be a trivial task.
That's also another reason we are trying to move to a more formalized
algorithm, so that it's more easily studied.