[tor-dev] non-anonymous ephemeral onion services with stem

Micah Lee micah at micahflee.com
Wed Dec 28 22:31:31 UTC 2016

On 12/28/2016 12:40 PM, Yawning Angel wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 12:19:17 -0800
> Micah Lee <micah at micahflee.com> wrote:
>
>> And when other processes connect to the Tor control port and run
>> create_ephemeral_hidden_service, those onion services wouldn't be
>> non-anonymous?
>
> They'll be non-anonymous (as in, the options are global).  This also
> will not work if there is a SOCKS port configured.  Basically,
> unless you are launching your own copy of the tor daemon, just for
> non-anonymous HSes, it's a terrible idea to use these options in
> general.

Thank you, this is good to know!

For my specific use-case, it would be great if you could pass an
argument to ADD_ONION that makes that specific onion service
non-anonymous, without changing anything globally.

But for the time-being I won't add support for non-anonymous onion
services to OnionShare.