[tor-dev] Release: sandboxed-tor-browser 0.0.2

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Wed Dec 14 03:33:34 UTC 2016

On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 08:52:47PM +0000, Yawning Angel wrote:
> I tagged sandboxed-tor-browser 0.0.2 (0.0.1 is also tagged, but it has
> a few issues), so this is the obligatory release announcement.
>
> Official binaries should be available sometime next week, so I strongly
> suggest that people wait till then, unless they feel confident in
> installing the build time dependencies, and building the binary.

Thanks Yawning!

I also look forward to the binaries that are coming this week. I imagine
there will be some sharp edges for folks whose Linux distro doesn't
easily come with the right version of bubblewrap -- so it would be great
if people here could help us identify and resolve those sharp edges.

In the meantime, for those like me who are itching to get it working asap,
and don't mind installing a few more debs, here are the instructions I
wrote up for Jessie users -- they are quite similar to the instructions
Yawning put on
https://git.schwanenlied.me/yawning/sandboxed-tor-browser/wiki, but a
little bit more explicit in some places so it's harder to get lost:

Do steps 1-3 as root:

1. "apt-get install build-essential git libx11-dev libgtk-3-dev"

2. Setup the system to be able to install backports: add
"deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main"
to your /etc/apt/sources.list file, then do "apt-get update"

3. Install golang and bubblewrap and libseccomp from backports:
"apt-get -t jessie-backports install golang bubblewrap libseccomp2 libseccomp-dev"

Do steps 4-9 as the user that will be running Sandboxed Tor Browser:

4. Set GOPATH:
"export GOPATH=~/.local/go"

5. Install gb:
"go get github.com/constabulary/gb/..."

6. Add the directory containing the gb binary to your PATH:
"export PATH=$PATH:~/.local/go/bin"

7. Clone the repo:
"git clone https://git.torproject.org/tor-browser/sandboxed-tor-browser.git"

8. Compile it:
"cd sandboxed-tor-browser; make"

9. Run it:
"bin/sandboxed-tor-browser"

It will put its stuff in your ~/.local/share/sandboxed-tor-browser/

--Roger