[tor-dev] prop224: What should we do with torrc options?

David Goulet dgoulet at ev0ke.net
Mon Dec 5 21:02:55 UTC 2016

On 06 Dec (07:53:16), teor wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > I think the following is the best of all the non ideal solutions we can come
> > up with. Below is a superb ascii timeline of what we plan to do in terms of
> > transition from v2 to v3:
> >

> > Our dystopian reality of now.
> > (https://youtu.be/NrmMk1Myrxc
> > it's not a Black Mirror SO3 trailer)
> >        |             ~Aug '17          ~Dec '17        Unknown date
> >        |-----------------|-----------------|----------------|---------->
> >                          |                 ^                ^
> >                          ^            v3 Network/Code       |
> >                 tor stable release       Maturity           |
> >                   with v3 support                       No more v2
> >                      (0.3.1)
> >
> > Ok, might not be my best ascii art work but I hope it will do. In short:
> >
> > - With 0.3.1 (scheduled for August 2017, subject to change), we'll have a tor
> >  with v3 support BUT v2 will still be the default value for *new* HS.
> >  (HiddenServiceVersion option)
> >
> > - For a period of ~4 months we estimate, we'll hope that enough of the network
> >  has upgraded to support v3 (relay and HSDir support are in 030) and that the
> >  code as some sort of maturity that we are confident to switch and make all
> >  new HS be v3. This is the "v3 Network/Code Maturity" marker. Note that it
> >  could easily go to 2018 for this switch to happen.
> >
> > - When the switch happens, there will be, most likely years, a long period of
> >  time where v2 will be deprecated and warnings given to users but still used.
> >  That "Unknown date" will be the time we will release a tor stable version
> >  _without_ v2 support at all. It's quite unknown when we'll be able to do it.
> >  Chances are that we'll rely on our HS statistics and metrics for that.
> >
> > That being said, here are the conclusions based on this thread and f2f
> > discussion considering the above "procedure":
> >
> > 1) When v3 is released in a tor stable version, it will NOT be the default
> >   version for new service, v2 will until maturity.
> >
> > 2) HiddenServiceVersion is used to control which version of the service you
> >   want. Starting from the first time v3 is supported, you'll be able to use
> >   it but without any guarantee as we'll be entering the "stabilizing period"
> >   but it should be usable.
> >
> > 3) ADD_ONION "BEST" will map to whatever default value HiddenServiceVersion is
> >   with the tor you have.
> >
> > 4) In order to avoid relying on a tor stable version release to switch the
> >   default version from 2 to 3, we'll use a consensus parameter. Meaning that
> >   once we set that param. to v3, HiddenServiceVersion default value will be
> >   that value unless explicitely defined in torrc. It will also allow us to
> >   rollback to v2 if we see a swarm of badness occuring. To be clear, service
> >   already v3 will stay v3 but the default version for creation will simply
> >   change.
>
> This is problematic: we validate and create onion services at torrc
> load, before loading the consensus.
>
> Do we plan to do it afterwards?
> That seems like it could be really confusing.

You need a consensus anyway to pick your intro point or HSDir but yes the
engineering part here will be that if you ever configured v2 service and you
realize it's v3, we'll rollback all the things.

I agree with you that it could be confusing and will require some fun
engineering but I think the advantages of having such a thing outweight the
engineering effort. Unfun part will be on the user side as they will think
their service is ready to start but then will have a warning after consensus
download that it's not.

It also means we need to do key creation _after_ consensus download so we
don't expose the wrong address to the user.

Fun... Maybe we can do better, not sure :S

David