[tor-dev] Bored C programmers? I've got some warnings for you....

Nick Mathewson nickm at torproject.org
Wed Aug 31 18:16:49 UTC 2016

Hi, all!

I've just turned on some code [1] that makes all of the "bug" warnings
that occur during the unit tests get logged to console.  Previously,
all warnings from the unit tests were off by default.

Now there are a lot of warnings from the unit tests!  For each one, we
should either:

  1) Decide that the warning message wouldn't actually reflect a bug
in Tor, and change it.

  2) Decide that there's a bug in the unit tests (or elsewhere) and fix it.

  3) Decide that _in this case_, the unit tests are correctly testing
code that *would* indicate a real bug in Tor.  In this case, we should
use the functions in log_test_helpers.c to temporarily suppress the
log messages, and make sure that this message (and only this message!)
is logged.

This is going to be a fair bit of work, but with any luck, we can
actually fix it all before the next 029 alpha comes out, and improve
our confidence in our unit tests.

[1] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/20042

cheers,
--