[tor-dev] [GSoC] Tails Server - Final status report

segfault segfault at riseup.net
Tue Aug 23 15:28:33 UTC 2016

Hi everone,

the GSoC ends this week. My goal was to implement the basis of the Tails
Server, which should include a GUI and a CLI to install, configure and
start onion services in Tails. I implemented a prototype which meets
this goal. There are nightly images [1] of Tails including this
prototype and the code is available here [2]. This is not yet a call for
testing, but there will be one at some point.

[1]
http://nightly.tails.boum.org/build_Tails_ISO_feature-5688-tails-server/builds/lastSuccessfulBuild/archive/
[2] https://gitlab.com/segfault_/tails/commits/feature/5688-tails-server

The current prototype does not meet all the requirements for shipping it
in Tails yet (which was not the goal of the GSoC), but it won't require
too much additional work.

These are some things that still need to be done before including
Tails Server in Tails IMO:
- Implement client authentication
- Run as non-root user
- Fix some UI issues
- Test performance on low end hardware
- Find and fix bugs
- Improve user documentation
- Write design documentation
- Write tests for Tails' test suite

I will definitely keep on working on this and try to finish it ASAP. I
don't know exactly how much time I will be able to spend on this from
now on, but a first version of Tails Server could be shipped with Tails
in early 2017 or even late 2016.

Cheers