[tor-dev] Configuring Single Onion Services

Ivan Markin twim at riseup.net
Tue Apr 12 00:49:32 UTC 2016

David Goulet:
> It's a bit weird to have to enable two options for one feature (single onion)
> BUT I like the double torrc option forcing the users to understand what's
> going on (also adding semantic to the config file).
>
> Bikesheding: the name though could be a bit misleading. What if that tor
> process is also used as a client to "wget" stuff on the server for instance.
> Won't I be confused if NonAnonymousMode is _set_ not knowing it applies to
> what? Idea: "HiddenServiceNonAnonymousMode 1". Pretty explicit that it's for
> the service.

I don't think using doubled option will force people to understand
what's happening. Most probable outcome is that two-option requirement
will look just "strange". It's strange because it's vague.
I agree with David, something like "NonAnonymousOnionServiceMode 1"
should be enough. It looks pretty clear and simple.
[NB: a service cannot be Hidden and NonAnonymous at the same time :) ]

--
Ivan Markin