[tor-dev] Configuring Single Onion Services

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 00:48:37 UTC 2016

> On 12 Apr 2016, at 04:22, David Goulet <dgoulet at ev0ke.net> wrote:
>
> On 08 Apr (10:15:19), Tim Wilson-Brown - teor wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm working on proposal 260's Rendezvous Single Onion Services in #17178.
>>
>> They are faster, because they have one hop between the service and the introduction and rendezvous points.
>> But this means that their location is easy to discover (non-anonymous).
>> So we want to come up with a design that makes it hard to configure a non-anonymous service by accident.
>>
>> Here's a cut-down version of an email I sent to tor-onions for feedback, for those who are on both lists:
>>
>> Nick's concern was that users could configure Single Onion Services without realising that it provides no server location anonymity.
>> I initially thought we could change the torrc option name to make this clear. ...
>> I now believe that trying to overload the name of a feature with warnings about its downsides was a mistake. …
>>
>> This would mean that Single Onion Service operators would include in their torrc:
>>
>> SingleOnionMode 1
>> HiddenServiceDir …
>>
>> As a separate issue, I think there are two alternative designs that can prevent users from configuring the feature and then exposing their location unintentionally:
>>
>> Tor2WebMode requires users to add a compilation option: --enable-tor2web-mode
>> We could do this with Single Onion Services as well: --enable-single-onion-mode
>> If SingleOnionMode is configured without the compilation option, tor warns the user and refuses to start.
>> When it is configured, tor warns the user they're non-anonymous, then starts.
>> However, using a compilation option makes the feature harder to test.
>> And Tor2Web operators already don't like having to compile separate binaries.
>> It's likely Single Onion operators would feel similarly.
>>
>> Alternately, we could add a torrc option: NonAnonymousMode
>> If SingleOnionMode is configured without NonAnonymousMode, tor warns the user and refuses to start.
>> When it is configured, tor warns the user they're non-anonymous, then starts.
>
> Just to be clear, the user would have to enable _both_ options to make the
> single onion mode work? Like so:
>
>    SingleOnionMode 1
>    NonAnonymousMode 1
>    HiddenServiceDir ...
>
> Basically asking the user to *explicitely" set an option that says "Ok you are
> aware that you will loose anonymity".
>
> It's a bit weird to have to enable two options for one feature (single onion)
> BUT I like the double torrc option forcing the users to understand what's
> going on (also adding semantic to the config file).
>
> Bikesheding: the name though could be a bit misleading. What if that tor
> process is also used as a client to "wget" stuff on the server for instance.
> Won't I be confused if NonAnonymousMode is _set_ not knowing it applies to
> what? Idea: "HiddenServiceNonAnonymousMode 1". Pretty explicit that it's for
> [...]

Actually, NonAnonymousMode applies to the whole tor instance.

This was an issue we encountered a few months ago, and we decided that it's
safer to prevent users from opening a SOCKSPort when SingleOnionMode is set.

Otherwise, the tor instance could be de-anonymised through the
Single Onion Service, and that has implications for client anonymity as well.

So the permitted combinations are:

Anonymous Client and Hidden Service
Anonymous Client
Hidden Service

Tor2WebMode and --enable-tor2web-mode and SingleOnionMode and NonAnonymousMode (I can not imagine a use case for this)
SingleOnionMode and NonAnonymousMode
Tor2WebMode and --enable-tor2web-mode

Tim