[tor-dev] Introduction: CollecTor Improvement Project

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Fri Apr 8 19:06:05 UTC 2016

On 08/04/16 12:57, iwakeh wrote:
> Hi there!

Hi iwakeh,

> With the first nice spring days in some parts of the Northern
> Hemisphere the CollecTor Improvement Project started.
>
> You probably know that CollecTor [0] is the friendly
> data-collecting service in the Tor network. It fetches data from
> various nodes and services in the public Tor network and makes it
> available to the world.
>
> The current project aims at making CollecTor more robust against
> data loss and improve its source base, development structure, as
> well as its installation procedure and configuration. More details
> can be found in the project's wiki page [1].
>
> Further general discussion of the CollecTor Improvement Project
> will take place in the metrics-team mailing list [2]. So, if you're
> interested your can subscribe there, too.

Thanks for writing this introduction!

And thanks for working on improving CollecTor!  I'm very excited that
this project has now started.  CollecTor is so important for the
various Metrics-related services including Onionoo and ExoneraTor, and
many people depend on CollecTor, knowingly or not.  Very soon,
CollecTor (together with its predecessor tool, written by weasel) will
have collected 12 years of Tor network data:

https://blog.torproject.org/blog/10-years-collecting-tor-directory-data

So, again, thanks for picking up this very important task.  I'm very
much looking forward to discussing improvements and reviewing and
merging changes coming out of this project.

> Cheers, iwakeh

Cheers,
Karsten