[tor-dev] Draft proposal -- no number yet: How to safely drop support for old clients.

Spencer spencerone at openmailbox.org
Wed Sep 30 21:43:27 UTC 2015

Hi,

> Nick Mathewson:
> Draft proposal -- no number yet: How to safely drop support
> for old clients.

I feel like "safely" sounds too fluffy and not reflective of the
proposal.

     - How to force-drop support for old clients.
       or
     - How to depreciate support for old clients.

The second of these seems the most suitable.

> Frequently, we find that very old versions of Tor should no
> longer be supported on the network.

Where can we find research on the impact?

> 3.4. Disabling all versions that don't support this proposal

With all due respect, doesn't Microsoft do stuff like this?  Is the
impact so large that they require this level of action?

> if we want to disable all Tor versions before today
> that do not support this proposal.

Is the proposal for 5 years in the past, pre this version, or can/will
the cutoff be specified willy-nilly?

> It might be good to make any disable-switches advisory
> rather than mandatory.

Ultimately, if this is the approach, and it is in the hands of each
client operator, this could be good.  Though it would be great to hear
from those who use previous versions to thwart limitations in "upgrades"
to Firefox, such as the way media is streamed, amongst other things :)

Wordlife,
Spencer