[tor-dev] Special-use-TLD support

Jeff Burdges burdges at gnunet.org
Mon Sep 28 20:35:45 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-09-27 at 19:47 +0200, Jeff Burdges wrote:
> Configuration

>     NameService [.]dnspath socketspec
>       [noncannonical] [timeout=num]
>       [-- service specific options]
>
>   We require that socketspec be either the path to a UNIX domain
> socket
>   or an address of the form IP:port.  We also require that that each
>   *dnspath be a string conforming to RFC 952 and RFC 1123 sec. 2.1.

I asked Yawning today if this part should (a) use a socket to a process
that already exists, or (b) exec a helper program that communicates
over a pipe tied to its stdio.  He mentioned the PT spec does both,
which I interpreted as going either way at the time.  In fact, the PT
spec literally requires both stdio and a socket, which sounds overly
complex for this.

Anyways, if we wanted to to exec a helper program, the configuration
might look something like :
	NameService [.]dnspath [opts ..] exec helper_prog [opts ..]
We could simply speak to the helper over a pipe tied to its stdio.

Jeff