[tor-dev] Special-use-TLD support

Jeff Burdges burdges at gnunet.org
Mon Sep 28 19:32:16 UTC 2015

Special-use TLDs is the official name, according to someone or other attached to DNS.  I'd rate that good enough.

Afaik, there is actually no coherent name for these naming system meant
to compete with DNS.  Arguably, the most logical approach would be to
genericize the DNS trademark and accept the resulting ambiguity, but
that's not realistic.  In places, I've used terms like name service,
and similar, because it's largely unambiguous how Tor would use a
naming scheme.  I'd personally consider calling Namecoin or GNS simply
"name systems" to be an exaggeration though, maybe "server name
consistency system" or something.  I don't think this really impacts
the spec since the DNS terminology is well defined.