[tor-dev] Special-use-TLD support

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 14:13:05 UTC 2015

> On 28 Sep 2015, at 15:20, Jeff Burdges <burdges at gnunet.org> wrote:
>
>> Are multiple NameSubstitution rules applied in the order they are
>> listed?
>>
>> For example:
>> NameSubstitution .com .net
>> NameSubstitution .example.net <http://example.net/> .example.org <http://example.org/>
>>
>> What does foo.example.com <http://foo.example.com/> get transformed into?
>
> In principle, one could apply the most specific (longest) rule, but..
>
> My prejudice is that disjointness should be enforced for anything in
> the torrc.  Otherwise, one must worry more about attackers modifying
> torrc files.

I don’t believe this is part of our standard threat models - torrc files are generally trusted.

>> Are trailing periods significant?
>
> I believe they do not make sense.  DNS names may not end in a period,
> so this is covered by the references I gave, not sure if I speced it
> correctly though.

Fully Qualified Domain Names (FQDNs) end with a period.
They are a absolute domain name reference, rather than domain names without periods, which can have search domains appended by the browser or OS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fully_qualified_domain_name <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fully_qualified_domain_name>

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B

teor at blah dot im
OTR CAD08081 9755866D 89E2A06F E3558B7F B5A9D14F