[tor-dev] Special-use-TLD support

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 21:32:41 UTC 2015

Hi Jeff,

I have some questions about how NameSubstitution rules work in some edge cases:

> On 27 Sep 2015, at 19:47, Jeff Burdges <burdges at gnunet.org> wrote:
> Configuration
>
>  We propose two Tor configuration options :
>
>    NameSubstitution [.]source_dnspath [.]target_dnspath
>    NameService [.]dnspath socketspec
>      [noncannonical] [timeout=num]
>      [-- service specific options]
>
>  We require that socketspec be either the path to a UNIX domain socket
>  or an address of the form IP:port.  We also require that that each
>  *dnspath be a string conforming to RFC 952 and RFC 1123 sec. 2.1.
>  In other words, a dnsspec consists of a series of labels separated by
>  periods . with each label of up to 63 characters consisting of the
>  letters a-z in a case insensitive mannor, the digits 0-9, and the
>  hyphen -, but hyphens may not appear at the beginning or end of labels.
>
>  NameSubstitution rules are applied only to DNS query strings provided
>  by the user, not CNAME results.  If a trailing substring of a query
>  matches source_dnspath then it is replaced by target_dnspath.
>
>  NameService rules route matching query to to appropriate name service
>  supplier software.  If a trailing substring of a query matches dnspath,
>  then a query is sent to the socketspec using the RPC protcol descrived
>  below.  Of course, NameService rules are applied only after all the
>  NameSubstitution rules.

Are multiple NameSubstitution rules applied in the order they are listed?

For example:
NameSubstitution .com .net
NameSubstitution .example.net <http://example.net/> .example.org

What does foo.example.com <http://foo.example.com/> get transformed into?

Are trailing periods significant?

For example:
NameSubstitution .com .net

What does example.com <http://example.com/>. get transformed into?

For example:
NameSubstitution .com. .net.

What does example.com <http://example.com/> get transformed into?

Are leading periods significant?

For example:
NameSubstitution com net

What does example.com <http://example.com/> get transformed into?
What does foo.viacom get transformed into?

Are duplicate rules significant?

For example:
NameSubstitution .com .com.com
NameSubstitution .com .com.com

What does example.com <http://example.com/> get transformed into?

Is there a length limit for the final query?
(DNS names are limited to 255 characters.)

For example:
NameSubstitution .a .<254 characters>

What does <253 characters>.a get transformed into?

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com
PGP 968F094B

teor at blah dot im
OTR CAD08081 9755866D 89E2A06F E3558B7F B5A9D14F