[tor-dev] Simplifying load balancing by removing Guard+Exit?

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Thu Sep 24 15:33:11 UTC 2015

Hey all,

I am playing with the load balancing equations in 3.8.3 in dir-spec.txt
(https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree//dir-spec.txt#n2454) in
order to account for padding, hidden/onion services, and directory
traffic, and I've noticed that the fact that nodes can be both Exits and
Guards not only vastly complicates the current equations, but will make
any attempt at accounting for this additional overhead nearly
impossible.

If you've previously tried to understand the current load balancing
equations, or wondered why they have 3 major sub-cases and roughly 9
sub-cases, this is entirely to account for Guard+Exit nodes, and to
handle relative scarcity of pure Guard and pure Exit nodes in various
conditions.

Removing the Guard+Exit ('D') nodes makes all of those cases condense to
one single, simple set of solutions:

⎧     E + G + M       E + G + M       2⋅E - M - G       2⋅G - M - E ⎫
⎨Wee: ─────────, Wgg: ─────────, Wme: ───────────, Wmg: ────────────⎬
⎩        3⋅E             3⋅G              3⋅E               3⋅G     ⎭

No missing constraints, no sub-cases, no boundary conditions. Easy to
reason about. Easy to intuitively convince yourself that the solutions
are correct.

What I want to do is add two variables to the consensus that allow us to
specify expected (or measured) overhead at Guard nodes (G_o) and at
Middle nodes (M_o). These two variables would represent the sum of
padding, directory overhead, and hidden service traffic experienced by
Guard and Middle nodes, respectively. If we ignore Guard+Exit nodes,
this makes the load balancing equations become:

 (1-G_o)*Wgg*G == (1-M_o)*(M + Wme*E + Wmg*G) # Guard bw == middle bw
 (1-G_o)*Wgg*G == Wee*E                       # Guard bw == exit bw
 Wmg*G + Wgg*G == G                           # Guards can be middles or Guards
 Wme*E + Wee*E == E                           # Exits can be middles or Exits

These solutions are a bit longer so I won't paste them here, but they
are still reasonable if we ditch the Guard+Exit idea. They can be
simplified even further by using a similar approach as the GuardFraction
idea from Proposal 236 (Section 1.3): We can simply adjust each Guard's
bandwidth by G_o either before solving the equations, or by adjusting
Wgg and Wmg after the solution, then we only need to include the (1-M_o)
factor in the equations themselves.

We can't really do this simplification if we keep Guard+Exit, because of
the interplay between Exit and Guard weights in the system of equations
and cases.

Additionally, if we keep Guard+Exit, the solutions literally consume an
entire page of text to represent symbolically, and the sub-cases become
even more complicated to evaluate and check for proper bounds and
correctness. In fact, George has already run into such edge cases while
trying to implement Proposal 236 (See
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/16255).

Moreover, I've been thinking about the surveillance incentives for
Guard+Exit nodes, and I actually think it is a net risk to the network
for nodes to be both Guards and Exits. It's easy to find an excuse to
watch an Exit node. If anything bad ever happens from an Exit, you may
be able to convince someone to let you keep an eye on it** "just in
case".  A Guard-only node shouldn't cause anybody any problems, though,
and should be much harder to justify monitoring.

So this means that Guard+Exit nodes allow an adversary to justify
monitoring large portions of both the entry and exit traffic of the
network without any strange/technical/esoteric arguments about the need
to perform complicated statistical attacks with questionable accuracy
and high collateral damage, and instead force them to justify their
monitoring another way.

I also hear from large node operators that it is still the Exit flag
that causes their nodes to really become overloaded, so if that's
actually true, then it's likely that Exit nodes make poor Guards anyway,
especially if Exit bandwidth is scarce (which it often is).

So, what do people think? Does anyone violently disagree with removing
the Guard flag from Guard+Exit nodes?

** I used to run an Exit node, and my lawyer at the time was told
exactly this at one point during a police visit about a nonsensical bomb
threat to some 4chan equivalent. He was specifically told "We will be
monitoring this node from now on" by one of the visiting officers. I was
unable to ever discover what that actually meant, and the EFF
unfortunately did not feel it was worth pursuing to help me find out. It
may have been a scare tactic, but it could just as easily have not been,
and for all I know they may have been actually able to convince a judge
to let them do this.

--
Mike Perry