[tor-dev] Desired exit node diversity

Yawning Angel yawning at schwanenlied.me
Wed Sep 23 06:26:47 UTC 2015

On Wed, 23 Sep 2015 06:18:58 +0000
Virgil Griffith <i at virgil.gr> wrote:
> * Would the number of exit nodes constitute exactly 1/3 of all Tor
> nodes? Would the total exit node bandwidth constitute 1/3 of all Tor
> bandwidth?

No. There needs to be more interior bandwidth than externally facing
bandwidth since not all Tor traffic traverses through an Exit
(Directory queries, anything to do with HSes).

The total Exit bandwidth required is always <= the total amount of Guard
+ Bridge bandwidth, but I do not have HS utilization or Directory query
overhead figures to give an accurate representation of how much less.

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel