[tor-dev] Proposal: Single onion services

Aaron Johnson aaron.m.johnson at nrl.navy.mil
Fri Sep 18 22:54:43 UTC 2015

Hello,

Nice, concise proposal! I’ve been meaning for a while to send some comments:

Overall:
	1. This proposal doesn’t allow you to run a single-onion service if your server is behind NAT. It might be useful to include an option for the SOS to create persistent connections to some guards that will also serve as rendezvous points.
	2. This proposal doesn’t allow a single-onion services to hide its existence. It is possible to hide its existence unless you know enough to request the descriptor, but it would seem to require using guards or a malicious relay will eventually be selected to connect directly to the SOS.
	3. I suggest using “single-onion service” throughout because it makes it clear that “single” modifies “onion” and not “onion service”. I disagree with the suggestion from Jeff Burdges that this term is “grammatically” inaccurate. At worst, it might suggest that only a “single onion” is ever used. However, Tor actually doesn’t use onions at all, which I can only understand to mean repeatedly-encrypted data structures that contain no actual payload. So “onion routing” is just as inaccurate. “Single onion” to me refers to the use of a multiply-encrypted tunnel from a “single” member of the communicating pair, and I think that works just fine.
	4. To respond to the suggestion by Jeff Burdges, I wouldn’t prefer “Directly Peered Rendezvous Service”, because it is cumbersome (intentionally, I understand), and it will need to be used frequently at least to remind people what the unintuitive “DPR” acronym refers to. I also rather dislike the collision with “Dread Pirate Roberts” of Silk Road fame, which I would rather not steer Tor into.

Sec 5.1: "Configuration options… RelayAllowExtend 0|1 If set, allow clients to extend circuits from this relay… PublishServerDescriptor must also be disabled if this option is disabled… If ExitRelay is also disabled, this relay will not pass through any traffic.”

This doesn’t make sense to me. By "allow clients to extend circuits from this relay” I take RelayAllowExtend to indicate that a relay will extend circuit *through* itself. But then why should it be that "PublishServerDescriptor must also be disabled if this option is disabled”? Wouldn’t you want to disable RelayAllowExtend and enable PublishServerDescriptor to run a single onion service? Also, the statement that "If ExitRelay is also disabled, this relay will not pass through any traffic.” makes it seem like it is required to disable ExitRelay in order to prohibit passing through any traffic. However, my reading of the definition of RelayAllowExtend makes it seem like disabling RelayAllowExtend is all that is required to prohibit passing through any traffic, and

Sec. 7.1: "To prevent this, we would need to include a cookie from the descriptor in the RELAY_BEGIN information.”

It does seem helpful to be able to use an authentication cookie to prevent this attack, although single onion services shouldn’t expect their existence and location to remain unknown because they don't use guards (under this proposal). With enough connections, any one of them would eventually be connected to by every middle, including malicious ones trying to enumerate single onion services. However, SOSes could still hide what the server does by including the authentication cookie, and that seems valuable. Isn’t authentication already an option in onion services, though?

Cheers,
Aaron