[tor-dev] Towards a new version of the PT spec...

Adam Pritchard a.pritchard at psiphon.ca
Thu Sep 17 18:28:24 UTC 2015

At Psiphon we often discuss (and get asked about) using Tor's
pluggable transports directly. The cost/benefit balance hasn't yet
been in favour of doing this, but if there's discussion of a big PT
revamp... maybe Psiphon should indicate how the cost side of the
balance could come down for us.

We're obviously not a priority for what Tor does with PTs, but there's
surely no harm in us mentioning our wishlist. So...

What would be best for us is if PTs were written in Go and implemented
the net.Conn[1] interface. We have had good results with the
composability of net.Conn implementations: an obfuscated SSH net.Conn
on top of a meek net.Conn[2] on top of a upstream proxy net.Conn[3] on
top of a TCPConn net.Conn[4]. Layering in a PT net.Conn would be sane
and clean and reasonably easy.

Conversely: Python is difficult-to-impossible due to runtime
distribution. Separate executables are difficult-to-impossible due to
Android PIE requirements and distribution size bloat.

Anyway, if this is of any interest we can discuss it further.

(Note: Probably Lantern people are reading this too. And probably they
would benefit from the same things we would, since their architecture
is similar to ours.)

[1]: https://golang.org/pkg/net/#Conn
[2]: https://github.com/Psiphon-Labs/psiphon-tunnel-core/blob/master/psiphon/meekConn.go
[3]: https://github.com/Psiphon-Labs/psiphon-tunnel-core/tree/master/psiphon/upstreamproxy