[tor-dev] Proposal: End-to-end encrypted onion services for non-Tor clients

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) - lists lists at infosecurity.ch
Wed Sep 16 18:52:24 UTC 2015

Hello,

coming from several years of working on Tor2web project, i think that
the Donncha concept in leveraging TLS/SNI header together with direct
integration within Tor, would be of great benefit to bridge "The
Internet" with the "Deep Web" at TCP level.

Regarding anonymity of a A Tor Onion Service operator while registering
a Domain and Certificate:

a) Today it's possible to acquire a domain+certificate bundle
anonymously today using pre-paid gift debit/credit card available in
most countries in the world.

b) Today it's possible to acquire a free .tk domain along with free dns

c) With the upcoming Lets Encrypt based on ACME protocol, it will be
even easier and immediate to have free-automatic x509v3 certificate for
use with TLS.

So it will be basically possible by the end of the year to have a full
anonymous service of Domain + Certificate + Hosting (TorHS).

With such an improvement of Tor2web mode, implemented within Tor
software code, making it easier to be implemented with a configuration
line, it would be a quite strong approach.

I think that a Tor Relay that do provide such a service, shall have a
specific descriptor in the consensus.

That way it would be possible:

1) to have volounteers to run custom NS that for
"thetorrelaythatdoestor2webservice.org" can resolve to the list of all
the Tor Relay IP.

2) to have the myblog.com owner to map his site to a CNAME of
thetorrelaythatdoestor2webservice.org

It's worth discussing it, willing to bring beer to a conversation at
about it at upcoming Tor Dev Meeting! ;)

-naif

On 9/14/15 6:12 PM, Donncha O'Cearbhaill wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have been thinking about ideas to make Tor hidden services more available and
> secure for non-Tor users. Inline I've included a draft proposal which describes an end-to-end
> encrypted Tor2Web-like system.
>
> I'm really interested in hearing any suggestions, comments or criticism about this
> proposal. In particular I'd like to know if the trust requirements for the entry proxies
> and resolvers seem reasonable? Does this proposal make sense and is it something worth implementing?
>
> Thank you to David Stainton and Leif Ryge for your feedback on this proposal.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Donncha
>
> ---
>
> Filename: xxx-encrypted-onion-services-for-non-tor-clients.txt
> Title: End-to-end encrypted onion services for non-Tor clients
> Author: Donncha Ó Cearbhaill
> Created: 22-Aug-2015
>
> 1. Overview:
>
>   This proposal describes a system to allow non-Tor users to securely access
>   location-hidden services via a domain name chosen by the hidden service
>   operator.
>
> 2. Motivation:
>
>   Tor hidden services have typically been used to provide anonymity to both
>   services and clients. There are however use cases where a publisher or
>   content provider requires anonymity but their users do not. The publishers
>   typically would like their content to be available securely and to the
>   widest possible audience.
>
>   Tor2Web currently allows non-Tor users to access hidden services but it has
>   a number of limitations. Tor2Web deployments are limited due to requirement
>   to entrust Tor2Web service providers with users location information and the
>   content of their requests.
>
>   The onion subdomain based addressing in Tor2Web poses a usability issue and
>   can be unwieldy for users without providing any self-authenticating
>   properties. Tor2Web can be configured with a custom domain for an individual
>   hidden service but this requires manual configuration and additional
>   infrastructure.
>
>   Ideally non-Tor users should be able to access location-hidden services
>   under a standard domain name with end-to-end encryption from the client's
>   browser to the hidden service web server. The system should be decentralized
>   and it should not require the hidden service operator to run any clearnet
>   systems.
>
> 3. Proposal:
>
>   At a high level this proposal specifies a system of TCP entry proxies which
>   transparently proxy the TLS connections of non-Tor clients to a hidden
>   service. A client who requests a domain name such as https://myblog.com
>   should get connected to a hidden service endpoint which has a valid SSL
>   certificate for myblog.com.
>
>   3.1. Hidden Service configuration
>
>   A hidden service operator obtains a public domain name and a corresponding
> [...]

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)
HERMES - Center for Transparency and Digital Human Rights
http://logioshermes.org - https://globaleaks.org - https://tor2web.org -
https://ahmia.fi