[tor-dev] Proposal 247 (Hidden Service Vanguards) Overhaul

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Mon Sep 14 15:22:30 UTC 2015

Hi,

I like this very much. See comments inline.

On 9/14/2015 2:07 AM, Mike Perry wrote:
> [...]
>
> Here is how a hidden service rendezvous circuit currently looks
> like:
>
> -> middle_1 -> middle_A -> middle_2 -> middle_B -> middle_3 ->
> middle_C -> middle_4 -> middle_D HS -> guard   -> middle_5 ->
> middle_E -> Rendezvous Point -> middle_6 -> middle_F -> middle_7 ->
> middle_G -> middle_8 -> middle_H ->   ...    ->  ... -> middle_n ->
> middle_n
>
> this proposal pins the two middles nodes to a much more restricted
> set, as follows:
>
> -> guard_3A_A -> guard_2_A -> guard_3A_B -> guard_3A_C ->
> Rendezvous Point HS -> guard_1 -> guard_3B_D -> guard_2_B ->
> guard_3B_E -> guard_3B_F -> Rendezvous Point
>

> Note that the third level guards are partitioned into buckets such
> that they are only used with one specific second-level guard. In
> this way, we ensure that even if an adversary is able to execute a
> Sybil attack against the third layer, they only get to learn one of
> the second-layer Guards, and not all of them. This prevents the
> adversary from gaining the ability to take their pick of the
> weakest of the second-level guards for further attack.
>
> 2. Design
>
> This feature requires the HiddenServiceGuardDiscovery torrc option
> to be enabled.
>
> When a hidden service picks its guard nodes, it also picks two
> additional sets of middle nodes `second_guard_set` and
> `third_guard_set` of size NUM_SECOND_GUARDS and NUM_THIRD_GUARDS
> respectively for each hidden service. These sets are unique to
> each hidden service created by a single Tor client, and must be
> kept separate and distinct.
>
> When a hidden service needs to establish a circuit to an HSDir,
> introduction point or a rendezvous point, it uses nodes from
> `second_guard_set` as the second hop of the circuit and nodes from
> that second hop's corresponding `third_guard_set` as third hops of
> the circuit.
>
> A hidden service rotates nodes from the 'second_guard_set' at a
> random time between MIN_SECOND_GUARD_LIFETIME hours and
> MAX_SECOND_GUARD_LIFETIME hours.
>
> A hidden service rotates nodes from the 'third_guard_set' at a
> random time between MIN_THIRD_GUARD_LIFETIME and
> MAX_THIRD_GUARD_LIFETIME hours.
>
> These extra guard nodes should be picked with the same path
> selection procedure that is used for regular middle nodes (though
> see Section 5.1 for performance reasons to restrict this
> slightly).
>
> Each node's rotation time is tracked independently, to avoid
> disclosing the rotation times of the primary and second-level
> guards.
>
> XXX how should proposal 241 ("Resisting guard-turnover attacks")
> be applied here?
>
> 2.1. Security parameters
>
> We set NUM_SECOND_GUARDS to 4 nodes and NUM_THIRD_GUARDS to 16
> nodes (ie four sets of four). XXX: 3 and 12 might be another option
> here, in which case our rotation period for the second guard

4 nodes and 16 nodes are good values, based on your probability table.
and 4 second layer guards means more capacity as opposite to 3,
meaning this can be applied to higher traffic hidden services easier.

> We set MIN_SECOND_GUARD_LIFETIME to 1 day, and
> MAX_SECOND_GUARD_LIFETIME to 33 days, for an average rotation rate
> of ~11 days, using the min(X,X) distribution specified in Section
> 3.2.2.
>
> We set MIN_THIRD_GUARD_LIFETIME to 1 hour, and
> MAX_THIRD_GUARD_LIFETIME to 18 hours, for an average rotation rate
> of ~12 hours, using the max(X,X) distribution specified in Section
> 3.2.2.

I think I like the numbers. As you recall, I have commented on this
proposal when submitted by George and suggested a value as high as
possible for NUM_THIRD_GUARDS, considering even making the third hop
random all the time. The point was to defend against an active
observer attack, not a Sybil attack, and I stick to my suggestion that
we should not ignore the probability of it. While we want to rotate
nodes slow enough in order to make a Sybil attack hard to accomplish,
we should also choose nodes from a big pool, in order to make an
attacker to watch many places on the internet at once, which we assume
it's not trivial to do.

With these numbers in front of me and thinking from another
perspective, I think an average lifetime of 12 hours for the third hop
is ok. The main argument here is that, right now when second hop and
third hop are always random, I am able to keep over 80% of my
connections to hidden services alive for > 12 hours (in a single
circuit). Please let's not make the average lifetime of the third hop
more than 12 hours.

I was thinking of the third hop to be changed faster since we assume
the rendezvous point is evil every time (it is selected by the client,
and any client could be a potential attacker), and learning one third
guard will allow the attacker to learn (at least one of) our second
guards and climb on the circuit just by watching the in and out
traffic of that node(s), without compromising them in a special way.
This is applicable in both cases anyway, so I think having a third
guard with an average lifetime of 12 hours is a better defense against
a Sybil attack and not a significant drawback against the other attack.

Anyway, if the third hop is random, an attacker can use an evil
rendezvous point which only responds and builds circuits with evil
middle nodes. This way, an attacker can increase his chances to learn
(at least one of) the second guards by connecting to a hidden service
at such a rendezvous point (which will only work with the attacker's
compromised relays as third hops).

How do we mitigate this with third level guards? If we decide to never
drop our third level guards if they can't build circuits with
rendezvous points and prefer to scrap circuits entirely and go on, a
hidden service would then have a nonzero chance to select bad nodes as
third guards which will censor it by not establishing rendezvous
circuits at all. If we decide to rotate the third level guards if they
fail more than n% of the rendezvous circuits, an attacker can force us
to rotate really quick by opening rendezvous circuits at evil
rendezvous points that drop circuits from all relays, tricking the
client to believe that the third nodes are broken.

> XXX make all the above consensus parameters? Yes. Very yes,
> especially if we decide to change the primary guard lifespan.
>
> See Section 3 for more analysis on these constants.

Yes, very yes on consensus parameters. This offers us the ability to
change this numbers with the least effort in case we will understand
it better at some time in the future.

Consensus parameters with the possibility to be overwritten by client
in torrc, as we currently have for NumEntryGuards.

> [...]
> the current choice for third-layer guards is noted with ***.
>
> Range  Min(X,X)   Max(X,X) 10      2.85       6.15 11      3.18
> 6.82 12      3.51       7.49 13      3.85       8.15 14      4.18
> 8.82 15      4.51       9.49 16      4.84       10.16 17      5.18
> 10.82*** 18      5.51       11.49 19      5.84       12.16 20
> 6.18       12.82 21      6.51       13.49 22      6.84       14.16
> 23      7.17       14.83 24      7.51       15.49 25      7.84
> 16.16 26      8.17       16.83 27      8.51       17.49 28
> 8.84       18.16 29      9.17       18.83 30      9.51       19.49
> 31      9.84       20.16 32      10.17**    20.83 33      10.51
> 21.49 34      10.84      22.16 35      11.17      22.83 36
> 11.50      23.50 37      11.84      24.16 38      12.17      24.83
> 39      12.50      25.50
>

> 4. Security concerns and mitigations
>
> 4.1. Mitigating fingerprinting of new HS circuits
>
> By pinning the middle nodes of rendezvous circuits, we make it
> easier for all hops of the circuit to detect that they are part of
> a special hidden service circuit with varying degrees of
> certainty.
>
> The Guard node is able to recognize a Vanguard client with a high
> degree of certainty because it will observe a client IP creating
> the overwhelming majority of its circuits to just a few middle
> nodes in any given 10-18 day time period.
>
> The middle nodes will be able to tell with a variable certainty
> that depends on both its traffic volume and upon the popularity of
> the service, because they will see a large number of circuits that
> tend to pick the same Guard and Exit.
>
> The final nodes will be able to tell with a similar level
> certainty that depends on their capacity and the service
> popularity, because they will see a lot of rend handshakes that all
> tend to have the same second hop.
>
> The most serious of these is the Guard fingerprinting issue. When
> proposal xxx-padding-negotiation is implemented, services that
> enable this feature should use those padding primitives to create
> fake circuits to random middle nodes that are not their guards, in
> an attempt to look more like a client.
>
> Additionally, if Tor Browser implements "virtual circuits" based
> on SOCKS username+password isolation in order to enforce the re-use
> of paths when SOCKS username+passwords are re-used, then the number
> of middle nodes in use during a typical user's browsing session
> will be proportional to the number of sites they are viewing at any
> one time. This is likely to be much lower than one new middle node
> every ten minutes, and for some users, may be close to the number
> of Vanguards we're considering.
>
> This same reasoning is also an argument for increasing the number
> of second-level guards beyond just two, as it will spread the
> hidden service's traffic over a wider set of middle nodes, making
> it both easier to cover, and behave closer to a client using SOCKS

Increasing the number of second level guards will indeed increase the
false positives for fingerprinting, but it will also increase the
success probability of a Sybil attack. So, we should put these in
balance somehow.

I think padding is vital important in this context. We need 'fake'
second level guards and 'fake' third level guards which we use only
for padding circuits and not real data transfer.

Fingerprinting is even easier at third level guards (which are always
before an evil rendezvous point and an attacker can have so many evil
rendezvous points, feeling great when he has 100% chances to use his
evil relays as rendezvous points in any circuit to any hidden
service). If you combine this with the netflow data capturing threat,
there are chances to find the location of a hidden service after
analyzing the historic data and observing what came from where.

> 4.2. Hidden service linkability
>
> Multiple hidden services on the same Tor instance should use
> separate second and third level guard sets, otherwise an adversary
> is trivially able to determine that the two hidden services are
> co-located by inspecting their current chosen rend point nodes.
>
> Unfortunately, if the adversary is still able to determine that two
> or more hidden services are run on the same Tor instance through
> some other means, then they are able to take advantage of this fact
> to execute a Sybil attack more effectively, since there will now be
> an extra set of guard nodes for each hidden service in use.
>
> For this reason, if Vanguards are enabled, and more than one
> hidden service is configured, the user should be advised to ensure
> that they do not accidentally leak that the two hidden services are
> from the same Tor instance.

Yes, a notice / warning here makes sense.

> 4.3. Denial of service
>
> Since it will be fairly trivial for the adversary to enumerate the
> current set of rend nodes for a hidden service, denial of service
> becomes a serious risk for Vanguard users.
>
> For this reason, it is important to support a large number of
> third-level guards, to increase the amount of resources required
> to bring a hidden service offline by DoSing just a few Tor nodes.

There are multiple denial of service attacks possible in this context
which would force a client to rotate quickly the third guards,
increasing the Sybil success probability. This is easy to detect by
the client, but unfortunately it offers us only 2 options:
a) rotate guards; increase Sybil success probability.
b) if too many guards fail, don't rotate, wait for our original
choices to be able to handle the traffic and be inaccessible until then.

> [...]
> services today), this proposal should not significantly affect the
> long-term load on various classes of the Tor network, and should
> not require any changes to either the node weight equations, or the
> bandwidth authorities.
>
> Unfortunately, transient load is another matter, as mentioned
> previously. It is very likely that this scheme will increase
> instances of transient overload at nodes selected by high-traffic
> hidden services.
>
> One option to reduce the impact of this transient overload is to
> restrict the set of middle nodes that we chose from to some
> percentage of the fastest middle-capable relays in the network.
> This may have some impact on load balancing, but since the total
> volume of hidden service traffic is low, it may be unlikely to
> matter.
>
> 5.2. Circuit build timeout
>
> The adaptive circuit build timeout mechanism in Tor is what
> corrects for instances of transient node overload right now.
>
> The timeout will naturally tend to select the current fastest and
> least-loaded paths even through this set of restricted routes, but
> it may fail to behave correctly if there are a very small set of
> nodes in each guard set, as it is based upon assumptions about the
> current path selection algorithm, and it may need to be tuned
> specifically for Vanguards, especially if the set of possible
> routes is small.
>
> 5.3. OnionBalance
>
> At first glance, it seems that this scheme makes multi-homed
> hidden services such as OnionBalance[1] even more important for
> high-traffic hidden services.
>
> Unfortunately, if it is equally damaging to the user for any of
> their multi-homed hidden service locations to be discovered, then
> OnionBalance is strictly equivalent to simply increasing the number
> of second-level guard nodes in use, because an active adversary can
> perform simultaneous Sybil attacks against all of the rend points
> offered by the multi-homed OnionBalance introduction points.
>
> 5.4. Default vs optional behavior
>
> We suggest this torrc option to be optional because it changes
> path selection in a way that may seriously impact hidden service
> performance, especially for high traffic services that happen to
> pick slow guard nodes.
>
> However, by having this setting be disabled by default, we make
> hidden services who use it stand out a lot. For this reason, we
> should in fact enable this feature globally, but only after we
> verify its viability for high-traffic hidden services, and ensure
> that it is free of second-order load balancing effects.
>
> Even after that point, until Single Onion Services are
> implemented, there will likely still be classes of very high
> traffic hidden services for whom some degree of location anonymity
> is desired, but for which performance is much more important than
> the benefit of Vanguards, so there should always remain a way to

Of course, we should always have the option to turn this on or off. I
think it's better to make it optional, because I don't think clients
reusing circuits based on SOCKS username+password authentication will
be enough to hide this in the crowd.

> 6. Future directions
>
> Here are some more ideas for improvements that should be done
> sooner or later:
>
> - Maybe we should make the size and rotation period of
> secondary/third guard sets to be configurable by the user.

I think so, yes. Consensus parameters by default with option to be
overwritten by user in torrc (same as we have for NumEntryGuards).