[tor-dev] Proposal 247 (Hidden Service Vanguards) Overhaul

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Sun Sep 13 23:07:30 UTC 2015

I spent some time trying to clean up proposal 247 based on everyone's
comments, as well as based on my own thoughts. Please have a look if you
commented on the original proposal, and complain if I've not taken your
thoughts into account.

(Aaron: In particular, I made several tradeoffs in favor of performance
and DoS resistance that may be at odds with some of your suggestions,
but I think the end result is still OK after looking into the Sybil
rates and thinking about the adversary model in more detail. You may
disagree).

I've attached my updated version of the proposal inline in this mail,
but the canonical updated proposal is in my remote at:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/mikeperry/torspec.git/tree/proposals/247-hs-guard-discovery.txt?h=guard_discovery_dev

Here's a summary of the changes (which are also listed in Git):

 * Try to make a coherent threat model and specify its assumptions

 * Fold in my comments about using disjoint sets ("buckets") for the
   third level guard.

 * Make the parameter discussion subsection its own section, and include
   tables with far more detail for the Sybil success rates.

 * Put the rotation period in a separate subsection from the number of
   guards

 * Switch to using min(X,X) and max(X,X) for the distribution for the
   second and third layer guard lifespans, respectively. Add a
   subsection describing this distribution (3.2.3)

 * Changed the default parameters based on these tables, and based on my own
   intuition about Tor's performance properties.

 * Move the load balancing, torrc, and other performance considerations to
   their own section (Section 5).

 * Move "3.2. Distinguishing new HS circuits from normal HS circuits" to
   section 4.1.

 * Fold in some of "3.3. Circuit nodes can now be linked to specific hidden
   services" into 4.1. Some of it I just removed, though, because I did not
   find it credible.

 * Added Roger's concerns about guard linkability to Section 4.2.

 * Added a denial of service subsection to Section 4.3.

Filename: 247-hs-guard-discovery.txt
Title: Defending Against Guard Discovery Attacks using Vanguards