[tor-dev] Partitioning Attacks on Prop250 (Re: Draft Proposal: Random Number Generation During Tor Voting)

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Wed Sep 9 21:44:06 UTC 2015

Hi,

I think we can mitigate this by implementing a p2p-like distribution
system for the commitment values between the directory authorities.
When an authority sends to all other authorities its commitment /
reveal value, it also sends the commitment / reveal values of the
other authorities it knows about (including their cryptographic
signatures).

If we see more than 1 commitment value from the same authority (by
verifying the signature of course) we just trigger a warning somehow
in consensus health and build a consensus without the commitment of
that authority. We just mark it as blank, or behave like that
authority didn't send a commitment value at all, to any authority or
group of authorities. At this moment the worst an evil authority could
do is throw away its right to vote for the shared randomness.

This way we cannot fail to create a consensus document at 12:00 UTC
and we also cannot have 2 simultaneously valid consensus documents
with different shared randomness value.