[tor-dev] Reproducibility of Pluggable Transports python.msi

Brandon Wiley brandon at blanu.net
Wed Sep 9 19:33:24 UTC 2015

I am in favor of standardizing on the Go codebase for pluggable transports
that ship with Tor. This is something we talked about at the last developer
meeting. The reason I favor this is not for reproducible build reasons, but
because maintaining four implementations (C, Python, C++, and Go) is
confusing for PT developers. As far as I know, since the last developer
meeting all Tor products have been migrating towards shipping the Go PT
implementation so that they can get obfs4 support. Last I checked, some of
Tor products are also shipping other PT implementations in order to
maintain access to transports not available in Go. I imagine that there is
some time in the future where there will no longer be any bridges available
for the older transports and so bundling clients for them will no longer be
necessary. However, I don't know what the current level of use for non-Go
transports is. I'd love to know if someone has those stats.

I also don't know how well reproducible builds work with Go, so if someone
knows that would be interesting information.