[tor-dev] fteproxy depends on obfsproxy...

isis isis at torproject.org
Wed Sep 9 00:56:40 UTC 2015

George Kadianakis transcribed 1.4K bytes:
> Kevin P Dyer <kpdyer at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > ...and it shouldn't.
> >
> > Fortunately, the dependency is isolated to a single file. See [1].
> >
> > My understanding is that pyptlib [2] is no longer maintained.
> >
> > wiley/asn/etc. - What's the proper way to remove this dependency, but make
> > it easy for fteproxy to be a PT?
> >
> > -Kevin
> >

> Hmmm, a plausible way to remove this dependency would be to rewrite the
> obfsproxy networking logic that you use into pyptlib (or even fteproxy).
>
> That said, are you currently experiencing an issue that made you bring up this topic?
> Because AFAIK pyptlib and obfsproxy are not currently suffering from any serious bugs.
>
> Even though no new PTs are being developed for obfsproxy, I think any serious
> bugs on obfsproxy would be taken care of by a combination of me, Yawning and the
> rest of the Tor hivemind. Same goes for pyptlib IMO.
>
> However, I understand that carrying the weight of the whole obfsproxy codebase
> just for the networking logic might be a bit too much. Are there any systems
> apart from Tor that are using the fteproxy+obfsproxy combination? If yes, and it
> gives them pain, maybe it indeed makes sense to go through the engineering
> hurdle of decoupling the obfsproxy networking logic and plugging it into
> fteproxy...
>
> Or is there another reason that I'm missing here?
>
> Cheers!

Even if there are fewer users (and none outside Tor AFAIK), it might make sense
to view the refactoring as necessary for making pyptlib easier/friendlier to
use?  And even if many transports have moved to Golang, but I think it is still
in general a nice thing to do for the rest of the world to maintain a usable
Python PT library.

If help is wanted decoupling the networking bits and putting them into pyptlib,
I'd gladly assist.

Although perhaps this should wait until the PT spec is refactored so that we
don't have to refactor pyptlib twice.

--
 ♥Ⓐ isis agora lovecruft