[tor-dev] Let's identify which measurement-related tools need work when relays switch from RSA identities to ed25519 identities

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Tue Sep 8 16:16:15 UTC 2015

>> Hi Karsten. Quick question: with the switchover are relay fingerprints
>> going away? That is to say, server descriptors no longer have a...
>>
>> fingerprint D203 4DDF 1275 A234 4F66 9935 A3EF B908 FFC7 AE9A
>>
>> ... line, and router status entries don't have it on their dir-source?
If not, what in particular are being dropped?

>> Cheers! -Damian
>
> yes, I think that's the plan.  Please see proposal 220, Sections 8 and
> 9 for some more details.

Thanks Karsten. Now that I know this isn't a completely foolish
question adding tor-dev@ back in.

If we're dropping the fingerprint that's a lot more invasive.
Fingerprints are relay's canonical identity, and simply dropping them
will break... a lot. I'd suggest instead relays should continue to
have a fingerprint but that it's the 40 character hex hash of the
ed25519 identity.

On a side note it would be nice to have a spec patch before changing
things this time. Sections 8 and 9 are a fine summary, but it's not
clear to me precisely how the descriptors are changing from it. They
certainly don't say to me "we're dropping the fingerprint field". If
that change went out without a spec patch first I'd borrow Mr. Potato
Head's angry eyes to stare at its author.

Cheers! -Damian