[tor-dev] Donncha's SoP Status Report 7 - Final

David Goulet dgoulet at ev0ke.net
Thu Sep 3 08:56:36 UTC 2015

On 30 Aug (15:57:51), Donncha O'Cearbhaill wrote:
> Hello all,

Hi Donncha (and everyone!)

> This is my seventh, and final biweekly status report for my hidden
> service scaling / load-balancing SoP project.
>
> Since my last status report:
>
> * I have been revising my patch for #14846 with the aim of getting it
> merged before the 0.2.7 feature freeze.

Quick note. This has been moved to 0.2.8 milestone *but* I think this
can make it if you manage to revise it asap and before september 15th.

> * I've been working with Ivan Markin on getting smart cards supported
> for signing in OnionBalance. Thank you Ivan for your code and enthusiasm.

Just epic :).

> Although the Summer of Privacy program is now over, I plan to continue
> maintaining and developing this project into the future. My immediate
> objectives are to:
>
> * Package OnionBalance in Debian
> * Clarifying the documentation (installation, use cases, storing master
> hidden service keys on an isolated machine).

Once you are happy with the documentation and code (and maybe we have
packages!), we should definitely add it to our hidden service guide on
tpo.org so we can have more people using it.

> * Implementing smartcard / HSM support master service key storage and
> signing.
>
> Work on the Complex Mode is advancing but I am not yet satisfied with
> the reliability of that mode. I will also further investigate any
> potential attacks or risks with that mode.
>
> Proposals #224 (next-gen hidden services) and #246 (merging hidden
> service directories and introduction points) are still developing. I'll
> continue developing OnionBalance so that if possible, it can facilitate
> some form of load balancing and redundancy with next-gen hidden services.

Yeah 224 support would be amazing but at least good thing for you, still
a long way to go :).

> I'd like to thank my mentors David Goulet and George Kadianakis for
> their invaluable guidance and feedback during the Summer of Privacy.
> Other members of the Tor community, in particular s7r, have been
> exceptional helpful with testing OnionBalance and offering feedback from
> a hidden service operator perspective.

Indeed, big thanks to s7r for this part! :)

> Finally I'd like to thank all in the wider Tor community for the welcome
> and support you have shown me over the past months. I hope that I can
> continue making contributions to the Tor community into the future.

I just want to say a few things here.

Let me tell you that it has been a great experience working with you! I
wish I would have done more to help you out! However, the end result of
your work is superb! I think and hope that lots of people will start
using it. If any operators of .onion site read this, please take a look
at OnionBalance, use it, break it, improve it, report about it :).

I'm very very happy about you keeping working on your contributions and
being part of the Tor community.

Big thank you and we'll meet again! ;)

Cheers!
David