[tor-dev] Pluggable Transports v1 spec rewrite.

Yawning Angel yawning at schwanenlied.me
Sat Oct 31 06:46:48 UTC 2015

On Thu, 29 Oct 2015 10:04:24 -0500
Brandon Wiley <brandon at blanu.net> wrote:

> Excellent work on the rewrite. To summarize for those that do not
> have time to read the whole document, it's the same spec, it's just
> been rewritten to read more clearly. I think it's a great improvement
> over the previous version.
>
> I have two suggestions:
>
> Section 4, "Tor Configuration", I think should be moved into another
> document and a reference should be added instead. While it's useful
> for developers reading the PT spec to see how to configure their Tor
> nodes so they can test their PTs, this information is going to be
> used mostly by bridge operators. Bridge operators shouldn't have to
> go to the PT spec to figure out how to configure their bridge. PT
> developers though will need to configure a bridge anyway, so I think
> it's sensible to at the end of the PT spec send them to the bridge
> configuration documentation and the PT configuration section
> specifically.

Ok, I'll carve it off to a different document.  To be honest I think
it's somewhat redundant to have the documentation at all (since it's
just a bunch of torrc directives), and there's better places for
configuration documentation (like the man page).

> Section 6 "Future Improvements" I think should be moved into a PT
> roadmap document. There is a lot to discuss regarding future
> improvements. My list for the most part does not overlap with this
> list. We could engage in healthy debate over what should go in the
> future improvements section, but this seems to me to be something
> better done when drafting a roadmap document rather than in the spec.
> It would of course be useful to add a reference to any roadmap
> documentation at the end of the spec.

The things listed there are the things that need to happen from
Tor's perspective, and I'm not currently considering a huge "Change All
The Things" type of rework if we were to bump the spec version.  But
I'll remove the section as unnecessary for now.

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel