[tor-dev] Faster Bootstrap - Prop #210 (Revised)

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 15:17:13 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I have continued to revise and implement proposal #210: Faster Headless Consensus Bootstrap.

This proposal aims to improve tor’s consensus download behaviour when the authorities (or directory mirrors) are down. It has tor initiate multiple concurrent consensus connections, then download the consensus through the first TLS connection that completes.

The proposal is available inline and attached below.
It has been merged to the master branch of torspec as proposals/210-faster-headless-consensus-bootstrap.txt

I have a working implementation for IPv4 that requires:
* the feature15775-fallback-v8 branch from #15775 at https://github.com/teor2345/tor.git <https://github.com/teor2345/tor.git>
* a list of fallback directories to be placed at src/or/fallback_dirs.inc (a sample list is available attached to #15775)
* the feature4483-v7 branch from #4483 at https://github.com/teor2345/tor.git <https://github.com/teor2345/tor.git>

The implementation is missing:
* some unit tests,
* fine-tuning of the connection schedules,
* thorough testing.

Please also see my comments on my original revision:

> On 3 Oct 2015, at 01:57, Tim Wilson-Brown - teor <teor2345 at gmail.com> wrote:
> This proposal is a solution to bug #4483 - If k of n authorities are down, k/n bootstrapping clients are delayed for minutes.
> It is also needed to implement #15775 - Add IPv4 Fallback Directory List to tor... and #8374 - Ship list of fallback directory mirrors on long-term fixed IPv6 addresses.
>
> The key changes are:
> * modify the scheme to perform exponential backoff on connections, rather than connections in batches

Done using schedules, so the backoff rate can be changed.

> * modify the scheme to enable IPv6 bootstrap on IPv6-only clients (see also #17217 - Change clients to automatically use IPv6 if they can bootstrap over it)

IPv6 is out of scope for the initial implementation, see #17281.

> * specify a way that clients can still benefit from clock verification via TLS connections with the authorities, without downloading the entire consensus from the authorities if it is available sooner from a mirror

This isn’t possible with the way the code is currently written, as the entire document is downloaded, then decompressed.
Instead, try an authority and a fallback, and use whichever connects first.
Clients with a reasonable connection to an authority will end up checking their clock whenever the (randomly chosen) authority is faster than the (randomly chosen) fallback.

> * analyse the expected failure rate and additional connection load imposed by this proposal

Done!

-----

Filename: 210-faster-headless-consensus-bootstrap.txt
Title: Faster Headless Consensus Bootstrapping