[tor-dev] Another Virtual Network Environment needs your I/O

Rob van der Hoeven robvanderhoeven at ziggo.nl
Fri Oct 16 13:03:49 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

During this hot summer I did some cool programming which resulted in...

Another Virtual Network Environment (avne)

AVNE is a small Linux program that runs other programs inside a virtual
network environment. All network traffic from this environment is
intercepted and forwarded to the Tor network. Interception is
transparent and is guaranteed to be 100% effective.

To forward network traffic you can simply type avne followed by a
program name. Examples:

    avne bash
    avne ip link
    avne iceweasel -P avne -no-remote
    avne chromium --disable-cache
    avne wget https://blog.torproject.org/

Because the network interception takes place at the IP-level, no special
Tor configuration is needed. In theory all TCP-clients should now be
able to use the Tor network.

AVNE is currently in the alpha phase of development. It works quite
well, but for the for the first beta version I need input from this
community.

First of all I want to know if there are programs that do not work with
avne. I tested with firefox, chromium, wget etc. and encountered no
problems.

The second question I have is: are there  programs / protocols which
should be blocked by avne? For example: I think its a bad idea to
support unencrypted POP3.

Of course I am also interested in bug-reports and your ideas for
improvement.

On my blog I wrote an article about avne that explains the technologies
it uses (User Space Networking and Lightweight virtualization), and also
gives an overview of its implementation.

You can find the article here:

https://hoevenstein.nl/another-virtual-network-environment

The source code can be downloaded at:

https://hoevenstein.nl/downloads

An on-line viewable version of the code is at:

https://hoevenstein.nl/source-code-avne-c

Hope you like the ideas and code. And of course, your feedback is much
appreciated!

Rob.
https://hoevenstein.nl