[tor-dev] Trac priorities and severities

David Goulet dgoulet at ev0ke.net
Wed Oct 7 15:56:32 UTC 2015

Hello tor-dev!

While 028 bug triaging, we realized that we *really* need priorities to
not be a banana field deprive of useful meaning. If you are unaware or
don't remember, the priority field in a trac ticket can be:

    blocker critical major normal minor trivial

Those are "severities" *NOT* priorities. Now I propose the following:

1) I take those above and copy them to the already existing but empty
severity field. They seem reasonable and we are used to them.

2) Rename all priorities to something more meaninful:

    blocker --> Immediate
    criticial --> Very High
    major --> High
    normal --> Medium
    minor --> Low
    trivial --> Very Low

3) World trac domination!

This could get confusing for some tickets after that but at least we can
transition towards using the Severity field from now on.

Anyone object or think it's a bad bad idea?

This is very little work for lots of benefits so I don't want to get
into a massive reorg. or bike-shedding the naming convention. I would be
open though to drop the "Very [High|Low]" field but that could make some
tickets with less semantic.

I'll let that sync for some days before doing anything. Let's not wait
anymore and take back our Trac system! Freeeeeeeeeedom!!!!!

Cheers!
David