[tor-dev] Onion Services and NAT Punching

Nathan Freitas nathan at freitas.net
Thu Oct 1 14:07:01 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015, at 01:15 AM, Andreas Krey wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 17:12:53 +0000, Tim Wilson-Brown - teor wrote:
> > Are there any use cases that:
> > * need NAT punching,
> > * don???t need service location anonymity, and
> > * would benefit from lower latency?
>
> Of course. All the cases where you set up a hidden service
> exactly because your host is behing a NAT.
>
> Like the webcam raspi I'm just booting up.

I have been looking at the use of Tor and Onion Services for Internet of
(Onion'd) Things applications, but broadly I haven't thought how and
when single onions could add extra benefit. Mostly in IoOT (IoO?) the
goal is to remove the centralized corporate clouds that are currently
used, and to protect your endpoints (house, car, office, etc) from
becoming easily discovered and compromised.

Accessing a home webcam ("dropcam" or "baby monitor" in the common
parlance) is the best example I can think of where you want all the Tor
goodness, and lower latency is also needed. Most of the other apps I can
think of can deal with async messaging and high latency (i.e.
change/check your thermostat settings).

+n