[tor-dev] Second release of OnioNS beta

Jesse V kernelcorn at riseup.net
Thu Oct 1 01:25:50 UTC 2015

Heads-up everyone,

After some debugging with s7r, it appears that sometimes the programs (onions-server, onions-hs, or onions-client) fail to start because they cannot load the common library. So if you run any of the programs in the terminal, you will see an error that libonions-common.so cannot be found, or they simply won't run if you start them without an active terminal. This is because that library is installed to /usr/lib/onions-common, but the loader is looking for it in /usr/lib/, among other locations. I do set the RPATH in CMake in an attempt to fix this, but in some cases (at least in my build for Debian Wheezy) it may not be set or installed correctly. I'm investigating and looking through https://cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_RPATH_handling

If this occurs, there are two workarounds. The first is to run
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/lib/onions-common"
before running any of the software. The second is to add "/usr/lib/onions-common/" (without quotes) to /etc/ld.so.conf
Both should tell the loader to look for the library in the correct path.

This issue might also occur on Fedora under the for the experimental .rpm, but I'm not sure. The issue doesn't occur on my computer, but if it also applies to Ubuntu or Mint, please let me know. It's always possible to compile from source and run the software from the build directory, but I would really like to identify the scope of this issue and then properly fix it.

Thanks,
Jesse V.