[tor-dev] RFC: AEZ for relay cryptography, v2

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 07:12:06 UTC 2015

Hi Nick,

The AEZ paper says:

"We impose a limit that AEZ be used for at most 2^48 bytes of data (about 280 TB); by that time, the user should rekey. This usage limit stems from the existence of birthday attacks on AEZ, as well as the use of AES4 to create a universal hash function."

http://web.cs.ucdavis.edu/~rogaway/aez/rae.pdf <http://web.cs.ucdavis.edu/~rogaway/aez/rae.pdf>

Since we change the tweak for every cell, do we have to be worried about this limit?
(Regardless of the tweak change, we are keeping the key constant, and using the same key forwards and backwards.)

It seems to me that the 280 TB limit so large that we don't have to worry about it being reached in any real-world circuit.
But I'm not sure of the maximum data volumes or lifetimes of current Tor circuits.

Should we include a method of rekeying in the Tor AEZ specification, in case the recommended limit is reduced in future?

Tim