[tor-dev] DoS resistance for Next-Generation Onion Services

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Thu Nov 19 13:13:48 UTC 2015

Tim Wilson-Brown - teor <teor2345 at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> prop224 salts the encrypted portion of each descriptor with a random value.
> If we use the same "salt" for every replica/spread, the encrypted portions of the descriptor will be identical.
> (In the spec, it looks like the same encrypted descriptor / salt is used for each replica / spread, but it's not explicit.)
>
> I can't think of an attack based on matching up the encrypted portions of descriptors.
> But I like the idea of making the blinded key and encrypted portion of every descriptor different, so there's no way to tell if they're from the same service or not.
>
> Then there would be no way of telling whether replica/spread descriptors were from the same hidden service, which I think is a useful property.

You are suggesting we should use a different salt for each descriptor we push?

Sounds reasonable, with a small cost on implementation complexity since now we
will have to generate N different descriptors and push them properly to the
right HSDirs. Plausible.

If you send a patch for the proposal, I will merge!

Thanks!