[tor-dev] . tor-roster's geo diversity badge, recommended version check broken, exit badge for guard family?

nusenu nusenu at openmailbox.org
Sun Nov 15 17:51:26 UTC 2015

Hi,

roster's recommended tor version check seems broken, example:

http://tor-roster.org/family_detail/963ADC0137505151C1AFA6757DD2367EDEEC7B62

Runs Recommended Tor Version For All Relays: false

but all relays run 0.2.4.27 - which is currently a 'recommended version'
as per
https://consensus-health.torproject.org/#recommendedversions

Why does that family has a exit bw badge if it doesn't provide any exit
relays?

Displaying guard probability would be nice.

>> Do you consider in-family diversity so important - even though all of
>> them are run by a single entity anyway?
>> How about having a badge for tor network wide diversity?
>> I'd consider the tor network's overall diversity far more important than
>> in-family diversity because clients won't use more than one relay of a
>> given family anyway.
>
> Entire-network diversity is obviously more important than within-operator diversity---no doubt
> about that.   We are doing within-operator diversity simply because the it's easier to
> measure/understand.  I agree that measuring a family's relay diversity with respect to the
> entire Tor network is would be supplementary, maybe even strictly better. I am already logging
> relevant data, namely the number of relays per country and total CW per country (as you
> suggested previously). The former stastic could be used for badges like "First relay in country
> X."
>
>> More than 4/5 of the family's CW is located in countries with a cw lower
>> than 2%* (currently means non-top 7 country) and ASes lower than 1.5%*
>> (currently means non-top 8 AS)?
>>
>> That implies some degree of in-family diversity since a big family would
>> have to spread across multiple countries/ASes
>
> Although there have been some interesting discussions about which ASes to prioritize in putting
> new relays, an actual concrete numerical measure is thus far an unsolved problem.  Virgil and I
> have talked about using a new tool (http://labs.apnic.net/vizas/) to observe which ASes have
> more interconnections and award bonus points to new relays on them.  When these measures become
> better established definitely in favor of making badges for them

How about keeping it simple? "All relays run in countries with a CW
fraction < 5%" ?

you could simply use compass output.

> (perhaps even replacing the
> within-operator diversity badges?).