[tor-dev] Proposal: Adding x-namespace to relay descriptor for key:value pairs

Virgil Griffith i at virgil.gr
Mon Nov 9 14:45:30 UTC 2015

> A. You still appear to be confusing the terms "torrc" and "extrainfo".

I recognize this error and will fix it.

> B. Do you mean for all extrainfo descriptors?

I support excluding Bridge relays for exactly the reasons you
mentioned.  My sole is to clean up the bitcoin addresses in the
ContactInfo field as well as allow relays to integrate with Roster
better as well as clean up the

> C. Why do we need 5KB of unparseable, unspecified, cruft in the descriptors?

> D. The extrainfo descriptors are not a message-passing channel for data for other applications, nor should they be.

In Paris I asked Roger for a bitcoin field in the ExtraInfo descriptor
because currently Bitcoin addresses are polluting the ContactInfo, and
I'd like to clean that up.

Roger said he couldn't add a bitcoin field because if he made a
bitcoin field then everyone's pet project will ask him for special
ExtraInfo headers.  He proposed instead making an "x-" namespace where
people can scribble in for their pet projects.  This advice seemingly
conflicts with your (D).  In my defense, I was just following orders.

> E. "truncated"

   I say the OP does the truncation.  If someone modifies their Tor
client to create a broken or otherwise unparseable ExtraInfo
descriptor that is their choice, and my understanding is that this
patch does not increase anyone's ability to specify malformed
ExtraInfo descriptors.

> G. "that it exit with error telling her torrc file is a likely culprit"…

I aspire to be more mindful in my gender-inclusive language.

> H. "CustomValueChar as specified per RFC 2822"

Atagar suggested I use RFC 2822 as a template.

That's all I got really.  If someone has an alternative suggestion for
allowing people to specify things like Bitcoin addresses I'm all ears,
but this was the path I was explicitly placed on.  I will correct the
errors (A), (E), (G), (F).  I am all ears on how to fix (H).

-V