[tor-dev] Changing Rendezvous Single Onion Service at Runtime

Alec Muffett alecm at fb.com
Fri Nov 6 17:16:55 UTC 2015

> On Nov 6, 2015, at 4:16 PM, teor <teor2345 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,

Hiya!

> Is there any reason an onion service would want to temporarily switch from 1-hop to 3-hop paths?
> Is it ok if we force operators to restart the tor instance when onion service path lengths change?

Well - as a user of RSOS, given the current state of the tor codebase, I feel it’s entirely reasonable that having a daemon need to cold-start in order to use oddball and privacy-impacting functionality be enabled.

By comparison: Tor2web requires being compiled-in before you can futz with connection configurations, and bans attempts to simultaneously set up connections in T2W and “normal” mode, so RSOS by comparison appears user-friendly. :-)

- alec